Tammyvanderwoude's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

Mar 28, 12

Read in March, 2012

This book inspires me to get off my apathetic ass and actually get into the world to make change. I say I care about injustice and inequality, but after this book I wonder: what do I actually know about any of it?

I've always loved Nicholas Kristof's columns in the New York Times, and figured I'd like his writing in book form. (Also, the book is one of 6 books offered as an assignment in my upcoming nursing class.) He and Sheryl WuDunn write powerful narratives about women facing terrible odds of disenfranchisement, sex trade and slavery, rape, beatings, genital cutting - and then how the women rise above that to empowerment. I want to meet these women.

Throughout the text, my concept of the importance of changing public policy was totally challenged. Kristof and WuDunn stress the importance of shifting cultural attitudes to gender equality, rather than forcing public policy from a bureaucratic level, which doesn't trickle down to real life in rural areas where the most extreme brutality to women exists.

This is a must-read book for everyone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.