Rowena Tylden-Pattenson's Reviews > Scorpia Rising

Scorpia Rising by Anthony Horowitz

Mar 28, 12

Read from March 26 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

I have read every Alex Rider book that has come out, sometimes waiting avidly for the next book to snatch it off a library shelf as soon as I found a copy. I remember staying up all night to finish these books, and then spending days after in a sort of haze of spies, adventure and wondering what was going to come next.

How I haven't picked Scorpia Rising up before now is pretty surprising, for me. Thankfully, I haven't been disappointed. As always, it was packed from start to finish with brilliant action, plot and the detail I always loved. Plot elements from previous books (Julius Grief) were woven in nicely, and although I found this aspect a little retrograde (a character from hmm, 8 years ago in real-time now?), it was nice to see all these loose ends tied up.

I personally loved the ending, with the death of such a primary character (shan't say who, go read it!) definitely rounding off the series very nicely, and a distinctive change happening; yes, this is the end. I like that. Although, at first, I didn't quite believe the death- I had somehow convinced myself that no, it had been faked, but after a few more pages (probably like 50), I actually had to admit it was real. Which was... shocking, in a way, "especially for a children's book", as is always said. But it felt right; and that's why the series is rounded off so nicely.

Although I'm sad to see the end of Alex Rider, he certainly goes out with a bang.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorpia Rising.