Metaspinster's Reviews > Second Sight

Second Sight by Amanda Quick

I'm giving this one four stars even though it's maybe not the very best of this series, but it was the first one I read and it hooked me. [And indeed, certain elements that can become a trifle repetitive in later books are fresh and new in this one.] Also, there's early photography! And a plucky, resourceful heroine who's doing just fine with her assorted eccentric relatives and friends and doesn't NEED the hero, but.

Plus, it's always a relief to find a historical romance which is not all about how to get a duke to marry you. Indeed, our heroine is wary of marriage for both logical and [spoilery] emotional reasons--for in Victorian England it is far more convenient for a woman who needs a career of some sort to be a [faux] widow than risk entanglement with a real live husband likely lacking in "modern" sensibilities. Luckily, our hero manages to prove his love and his belief in the equality of women.

AND we have the introduction of everyone's [well, my] favorite fictional Victorian drag king couple: the dashing Mr. Harrow and the dangerous Mr. Pierce. <3
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Sight.