Yawatta Hosby's Reviews > Daring to Love

Daring to Love by Karina Buchanan

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in January, 2012

This 12 chapter story is Karina’s first debut novel. Bravo–I hope to see more of her work. She had me hooked with the first scene. The way the character Andrea (a.k.a. Andie) described her rappeling experience was brilliant. At first, I thought she was in real danger–like she and the other women were held hostage; I thought it was a mystery or thriller. Then, it was revealed that Andie was exaggerating, and I laughed. That would totally be me in that situation because I’m afraid of heights.

The premise is Matt and Andie (his reasoning for giving her that nickname was so cute) meet, have an attraction towards one another, and try to resist those urges. I felt for Andie when he turned her down the first night they met. How embarrassing. I loved the way they met again after that–they worked for the same hospital but in different departments and was forced to work together on a case. The sexual tension oozed through the pages, and all I could think was “Matt, you had your chance!”

I enjoyed their back and forth (I love when couples don’t get along at first). It was cute and funny the way Matt tried to win Andie’s heart, and it was great how they called each other out on their BS. I rooted for them throughout the story; both main characters were relatable to me because I know what it’s like to be scared of commitment.

Karina Buchanan has a gift of revealing twists at the right moment. For anyone who reads this book, pay close attention when the characters reveal something about their past. It will be significant later on. For example, I hated what Jimmy, who was Matt’s friend, did at the hospital, but at the end, I understood why he did it. And, I felt sorry for him. There’s two main characters, but the author makes sure her readers fully know the supporting characters as well. I loved that I cared for everyone in the story.

This novel was a fast read. I laughed and cried. The ending was sad ( I wish I could talk about it, but I don’t want to give too much away). Just know, the epilogue tied everything together, and I loved the reveal of Little David and Katie. In fact, those two are why I shed tears–they represented honoring people who were special in Matt’s life.

I RECOMMEND this book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daring to Love.