Steve Lowe's Reviews > Edge of Dark Water

Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

May 10, 12

Read in April, 2012

Great characterization, good plot, took me a bit to really get into it, but once they got moving down the river I was hooked (see what I did there?)

Bonus points for a scene that literally made me jump. This is no hyperbole, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was scared bad enough to flinch while reading a book (14 years old reading the tunnel scene in THE STAND maybe?), but there's a scene toward the end, one paragraph in particular, that made me catch the vapors. It was so bitchin'.

This really is an excellent book, but having just finished Donald Ray Pollock's THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME (which was just nominated for a Shirley Jackson award for best novel), it was hard not to compare the two side by side since they are of similar genres and gothic motifs. No, that's not fair, but it is what it is. And that's a testament to how fucking amazing TDATT is. Read that book, and read this one, too. And then get Tom Piccirilli's The Last Kind Words next month and just revel in the awesomeness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edge of Dark Water.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Stop giving me books to read. I already have too many on my shelf! These sound really good. I love a good scare!

Steve Lowe I WILL NEVER STOP DOING THAT NEVER EVER

I've been a hot streak as far as really good books of late. The most recent one I finished was Nick Antosca's The Obese. Really great stuff. And I'll keep saying it, The Devil All the Time is fantastic.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I've already added Devil Time. I'll take a look at the other. You know you're evil, right? ;)