Danelle's Reviews > Like Any Normal Day: A Story of Devotion

Like Any Normal Day by Mark Kram Jr.

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, arc-or-uc-proofs, biography-memoir, swapped-or-donated
Read on April 08, 2012

In the 1970's Buddy Miley was an impressive high school athlete, one with prospects of a promising college career and a possible pro career ahead of him. And then, in one football game his junior season, it all ends. Buddy injured his spinal cord and became a quadriplegic. Relying on his family for everything, Buddy somehow holds onto hope.

His youngest brother, Jimmy, shared Buddy's athletic talent and was closest to Buddy. Jimmy took Buddy to special hospitals, clinics, even to holy shrines in hopes of a cure. But, as time went on and Buddy's pain intensified, he worried about the strain on his family - especially his mother. He felt he'd only been a burden and would only continue to be. When the pain finally got to be too much, he turned again to his youngest brother and asked Jimmy to help him end his life.

This book is so incredibly sorrowful, yet so uplifting. There's this overwhelming heaviness - just in how everything can change in a moment. I couldn't help but ask, 'What if he had mentioned that neck injury?' 'What if they hadn't moved him after that debilitating hit?' But that passed as I read about Buddy, his family, his friends, the people who knew him and how he lived.

In Like Any Normal Day: A Story of Devotion, Mark Kram Jr. has written this with the style of a news feature but somehow has kept the warmth and feeling in it. I finished reading and felt a deep admiration for not only Buddy, but his incredibly loving and generous family. I feel grateful to have gotten a glimpse into their lives.

I receieved this in a goodreads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Any Normal Day.