Maggie Wyatt's Reviews > Ten Thousand Saints

F 50x66
Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: read-2012
Read in March, 2012

I chose this book because the NYtime listed it as one of the top 5 books of 2011. When I started it, I had my doubts--a story about teenage boys who were druggies set in the 80's was not really in my zone of interest. But I found myself quickly drawn in and actually finished the book in 3 days. There were some superficial coincidences and solutions, but the characters and their struggles seemed real to me. There were so many conflicts: the rejection felt by children who feel abandoned by a parent, the clash of generations, the struggle to forgive oneself for someone else's death, the drama of facing a teenage pregnancy...but I think Henderson did a good job of showing how rebellious teenagers grow up as they begin see the gray shades among the good and evil characters they have cast in their lives. Jude's move from drugs to straight edge, from hating his father to relying on his father, from his alliance with Johnny to their break--the main conflict in all this is in Jude's realizing that the labels he has affixed to these people and his relationships with them do not always stick. But mainly, I just wanted to keep reading to find out what was going to happen to them all. And I am happy to find out that, for the most part, things turned out OK.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Thousand Saints.