Laura's Reviews > The Ask and the Answer

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, gave-up
Read from July 12 to September 01, 2012

I got to page 250 and had to quit. I really liked the first book, but none of the things I liked about it (the slow reveal of the true and shocking shape of Todd's world) was present here. For awhile, I thought I would pick it up again eventually, but every time I tried, I took 5 seconds to remember what was going on in the plot and put it back down again. I can't read this kind of book. I state frequently that I prefer my fiction to be on the light side (and this novel is full-blown dark), but it's more than just that: this novel felt to me like the author was doing everything in his power to illustrate the evils of the human spirit. I felt like - here, at the halfway point of this trilogy - every character in his story was beyond redemption. There wasn't a single character left I could empathize with, and once I've lost that, there's nothing at all to keep me reading.

I went and read the summary of this book and the next on wikipedia, and am happy to report that giving up on these books was the right decision for me. If you're looking for a story which reveals the evils of mankind but leaves us with a bright glimpse of hope for the future, you might do well to look elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ask and the Answer.

08/18 page 250
48.0% "I'm not sure if I can finish this. The detailed depiction of the moral horrors of war is wearing me out."
01/24 marked as: gave-up