Melanti's Reviews > The Uncertain Places

The Uncertain Places by Lisa Goldstein

Jun 20, 2012

bookshelves: fairy-tales-folklore-and-mythology, 2012, library, intotheforest-2012
Read from June 15 to 17, 2012

Don't judge this book by the first few chapters. I was very close to not reading it, since I just don't like the overt, reaching for jokes and puns style of humour that is so prominent as the story begins. Only the sheer number of authors I like who'd written enthusiastic blurbs and the mythopoeic award nomination convinced me to keep going. And I'm very glad I did.

The laboured humorous dialogue does calm down and relax after the story/mystery gets started and it does become more natural. Though there are points from time to time where Goldstein is trying a little too hard to inject humour.

I found the fairy tale to be convincing to the point where I was flipping in vain through my volume of Grimms looking for the relevant bondmaid story. Of course, it was nowhere to be found since it doesn't exist. This book has enough plot elements in common with fairy tales that it has that familiar feeling, even though it is a completely new plot and not a re-telling at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncertain Places.