Dani's Reviews > Model Home

Model Home by Eric Puchner

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: audio, fic

It was so nice to see someone do quirkiness right, and without overdoing it.

The youngest kid dresses entirely in orange, which makes you crack up when you first encounter him, but you later learn that he's one of those kids who generally has a lot of trouble with social norms, so you get to see both the comic and tragic sides of this kid's weird personality.

And this is just one small example of the multi-facetedness and three-dimensionality of all the characters in this book. The characters were excellent overall. And I really have to hand it to this author for successfully pulling off third person omniscient with at least five points of view, possibly six, and without the characters running together at all. I also didn't feel, with any of the characters, that I was just waiting around for it to be my favorite character's turn again. They were all interesting. That's very hard to accomplish with so many protagonists.

The plot gets pretty weird at times, especially later in the book. Strains believability a little bit in that sense, but I didn't mind.

Very engaging all the way through.

And no annoying language tics! Very rare.

A fun ride, despite the characters often ending up in depressing situations. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Model Home.