Marilyn's Reviews > This Is Not a Game

This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams

F_50x66
Apr 02, 12

Read from March 28 to April 02, 2012

This was a fun read. The book is divided into three acts. The first act was really interesting and told a compelling story all in itself. The rest of the book was okay too. Although, I found the characterization to be somewhat lacking. They were a little flat with a noticeable dearth of motivation for their actions. The author hinted at some things, but I did not find it entirely convincing.

The back of the book does not really explain much of what the story is about, so here's a little information. Not too spoiler-y but I added the block, just in case.

The book is about an ARG, an alternate reality game and how it is used to solve real-world puzzles. This part of the story was pretty fascinating. The story opens on the main character, Dagmar, who is stranded in Jakarta during an economic collapse with no way out of the country. (view spoiler)

Ultimate verdict: Worth the read. It was well-structured with some compelling ideas, but let's just say I'm not rushing out to buy his next book. Some day, maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not a Game.