Tami's Reviews > Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection

Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: humor, memoir-essay

I truly enjoy A.J. Jacobs' work. This one was a little bit of a departure from the topics about which I would normally read. Within my pathetic cloak of sarcasm I often pride myself on my blantant disregard for all things that purport to give me "health" advice. I found in Jacobs' book about his quest to become "the healthiest man alive" that I am not the only one who often feel overwhelmed by health information. Sorting out what is quackery and hype and what information might have actual benefits for me and my family has become so frustrating that I stopped trying to wade through it all, choosing instead to shut it out completely. (Also I have a strong addiction to Diet Coke that, although I have cut down, I have absolutley NO intention of discontinuing. Regardless of how many World War II veterans approach me to tell me they used Coca Cola to polish their belt buckles in the Army--my running total for this occasion is 3. Who knew?)

I love the way Jacobs throws himself into his research, laces it with humor and puts into the context of his "real" life with a wife and three young sons. This, to me, is more beneficial than straight information, or pseudo-information articles.

I recommend this book to anyone who: (a) enjoys the work of A. J. Jacobs; (b) has an interest in looking at the mountain of information AND disinformation about healthful practices; or (c) is willing to be open to possible insights (and changes?) in one's own personal health philosophies and behaviors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop Dead Healthy.