F. G.'s Reviews > The Angry Woman Suite

U_50x66
Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: to-read
Read in March, 2012

I read the whole thing in one weekend! I knew I would after seeing the Kirkus review that's had me watching for this release. The book opens in the 1950s with a young Elyse Grayson, whose voice captivated me from the get-go. So much so I wasn't ready when Francis, her stepfather, takes the narrative back to the 1930s--though I was firmly entrenched in the weird Grayson House women and doings, and Francis' career trajectory, by the time Aidan (their mentor) takes the story back to the early 1900s and falling in love--then I was hooked by that story too!

The Angry Woman Suite (the title comes from a collection of portraits that have caused a major furor, including murder--think the Helga paintings) is mystery, coming-of age, and love story rolled into one. It is also beautifully written, full of interesting characters and intriguing developments--but you do have to stay on your toes! Fullbright is a clever writer with a firm control of her material, taking you down paths you'll never see coming.

In the end, this is a somewhat unnerving, insightful portrait of family, but so worth the ride with these characters, especially Elyse Grayson, the shining star at its center.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angry Woman Suite.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

F. G. I read the whole thing in one weekend! I knew I would after seeing the Kirkus review that's had me watching for this release.