Noetic_Hatter's Reviews > X-Force - Volume 1

X-Force - Volume 1 by Craig Kyle

Mar 28, 2012

bookshelves: 2012read, comics, 2012-comics, comics-marvel
Read on March 26, 2012 , read count: 1

These days, I am burned out on the whole anti-Mutant Hysteria theme. I have been reading it in Marvel books since the 80's, and there's not much new to say. But X-Force has managed to take a different approach to those tired old questions. What if the X-Men actually fought back, willing to even kill?

It's a bloody, bloody book filled with black humor and outrageous situations. Wolverine, X-23, and James Proudstar form a black ops team. They are joined -- sometimes reluctantly, sometimes not -- by Rahne, Angel, Elixir, and the definitely reluctant Vanisher. My favorite arc is Rahne Sinclair's. She's always fascinated me. Raised in a strictly religious home and told that her werewolf form proved her to be a child of the devil, she has managed to stay faithful and optimistic while struggling to overcome that childhood programming. Here she faces her demons, and it's not pretty -- this girl's going to have serious long-term emotional scars from the events of this book. I love when Wolverine tells X-23 that people like Rahne are why they fight.

The second arc has artwork by Mike Choi. I am a big fan of his work, but it's a little jarring here. I think he might have been the wrong choice for this book. But we also get Domino in the second story, and that's never a bad thing. She gets all the best lines. More fun from her in X-Force: Sex and Violence.

All in all a satisfying read. Deducting one star because Choi's art is a bad fit -- though pretty. Also, it's not always easy to tell who the narrator is, since it changes around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Force - Volume 1.

09/07/2016 marked as: read