Dave Fay's Reviews > Watchmen

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Aug 19, 08

Read in August, 2008

After seeing that this was going to be made into a movie released next year, I thought I'd try reading it. I have never read a graphic novel before, so I thought this would be an interesting first try. Various sources (including the Goodreads synopsis) claim that this is perhaps the best graphic novel ever.

The story was interesting and pretty good, and the art fit in very well. I found that I adapted well to the idea that the art was telling most of the story. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the dialogue did not live up to the hype.

It should be interesting to see this in movie form. It is clear that the artist was practically suggesting how it could be shot as a movie, because at several points there are frames that imply panning or a specific camera motion.

At any rate, if this is the best that graphic novels have to offer, it may be my last. Although I could see myself trying Neil Gaiman's Sandman or an English translation of the Ghost in the Shell manga.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchmen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer The best graphic novels has to offer?! You didn't even mention Baby Mouse or Fashion Kitty- my two favorites!