Lisse's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Sep 21, 09

Recommended to Lisse by: Andrea D
Read in September, 2009, read count: 1

Gone with the Wind blew me away. I thought I was in store for a long, tedious read, but instead I flew through it, feeling like I was right there with the characters, living through the Civil War and reconstruction with them.

Margaret Mitchell did a great job of constructing Scarlett's character. She begins the book spoiled, selfish and honestly, quite mean and although some of those characteristics stay with her throughout the novel, she becomes a strong, hard working woman who refuses to fall down...or stay down if she is knocked down. SHe has a fiery spirit and will do whatever it takes to get what she wants - which makes you respect her one minute and want to slap her around the next.

I also loved Melanie Wilkes' character. She is the quiet, yet super strong support of the whole group of characters within the novel. She can sway public opinion in a second, is full of heart and is loyal to a fault. I enjoyed her immensley and was glad she was there to balance Scarlett out a bit.

Rhett was interesting to me. There were so many times I wanted to yell at him and Scarlett and say - JUST COMMUNICATE ALREADY! Tell each other how you feel! If one of them would've let their guard down for just one minute things could've been so much better for them. Again with the just wanting to slap them around a bit. I did enjoy how Rhett always came to Scarlett's rescue and couldn't figure out how Scarlett couldn't see that he really did care for her.

All in all, I thought this was a great book and I just tore through the last 400 pages. Don't let the length of the book scare you off from it. It's well worth the read - even if it will end up taking you months to finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

08/26/2009 page 38
3.66% "I apparently am going to be reading this book ALL year..." 2 comments
08/27/2009 page 72
6.94% "Getting better already and I'm not even to the picnic yet!" 1 comment
09/17/2009 page 602
58.05% 3 comments
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrea Dowd Yay! I'm so excited for you! Let me know how it's going!

Lisse I definitely will - although I'm not expecting to get through it half as fast as you did - especially since I'm reading a couple of other things as well. You are like lightening speed reader and I am always impressed!

Andrea Dowd Yeah right, I was very rigid with this book. I forced myself to read between 23-50 pages each day and then big chunks on the weekend. I just watched the film version of Gone With the Wind and it sticks fairly true to the story but it's so much richer on the page and there aren't major people missing (a few children here or there)!