Jay's Reviews > The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life

The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood

Mar 28, 2012

bookshelves: business, audiobook
Read from March 28 to 30, 2012

As I listened to this book on audio, I kept getting a feeling that I was listening to an extended 20/20 or other long form video news story, perfect for John Stossel. The author was a news producer with ABC, and that mentality makes its way into the form of his book, with digressions and personal story vignettes throughout, and ending with an online test of your survivor character. This books tries to be a lot of things. And mostly it succeeds. I found the trails the book took, through accidents, military training, concentration camps, hospitalizations, statistics, and more to be the kinds of areas I would have expected to be investigated. The book had interesting statistics and interesting mnemonics to remember (rule of 3s, 10-80-10). The book gives some recommendations (one I'll remember is to sit within 5 seats of an exit row on a plane) and includes a link to a web-based test of survivor character, which I haven't taken. I found the book quite interesting, an excellent addition to the literature on survival. I thought the book over-reached in including so many extensions to the story to look at additional aspects of survivorship, always illustrated with at least a couple of personal stories. I kept expecting the audiobook to end, but it kept going on. Also, the book ends by including explanations of the online test results. The test character explanations could have been left to the website as it added nothing to the book itself. If I were to guess, this was the result of the time constrained video producer being able to create his story without those constraints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Survivors Club.