Bart's Reviews > A Patent Lie

A Patent Lie by Paul Goldstein

Aug 15, 08

bookshelves: crime-fiction
Recommended to Bart by: Allen Chewes' review on NPR's All Things Considered
Recommended for: a forgiving reader once it comes out in paperback
Read in August, 2008

This book was very favorably reviewed on NPR's All Things Considered, and I generally trust, if not entirely agree, with its reviewers. But this book really under-performed against the high expectations I brought to it. The book is certainly a departure from the routine legal thriller, and Goldstein is to be admired for even trying to make something interesting out of a civil patent rights trial. But as much as he accomplishes in making *something* interesting out of the topic, it's just not quite good enough. The story is a bit convoluted. It depends a little too much on Goldstein's good, but not great, shorthand lessons in intellectual property law. And it depends on quite a few too many great leaps of logic or insight on the part of our hero, Michael Seeley. The book's ambitions are also sort of a mish mash. It's part family drama, part courtroom drama, part romance, part murder mystery. It's too much of too many things and not enough of any one of them to really make an impression. If I were advising other readers, I'd suggest you wait for it to play on cable, so to speak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Patent Lie.