Crystal's Reviews > Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish

Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish by Dean Ornish

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: cookbooks
Read in March, 2012

I picked this up from the library, because we are trying to eat healthier--more plant-based, and at least slightly lower in fat. I don't like this cookbook, though. It's exactly the kind of lowfat cooking I cringe from, where low-fat dairy and egg substitutes are used. The recipes sound...pale? to me. Just weak and unappealing. instead of replacing what you can't/ aren't having (full fat dairy, whole eggs, etc.) with weak substitutes, just cook without them. That way you're not constantly reminded of what you can't have, and the recipes you DO make taste great because that's how they were meant to. At least that's my approach to dietary changes, and considering I've had to go first gluten free, and then dairy free as well, and now we want to go vegan--I think I know a few things about changing my diet. :) Thin soups and lots of pasta, much less desserts using fruit juice concentrates and canned pie filling, aren't going to cut it for me.
I managed to find a little over a dozen recipes in here that I found appealing and am going to try, but I definitely wouldn't buy this book.
Recipes I plan to try:
Pineapple Compote with Candied Ginger, Carrot-Cauliflower Soup with Tarragon, Zucchini Potato Soup, Risotto with Corn and Red Peppers, White Bean Salad with Zucchini, Tomato, and Basil, Spiced Poached Peaches, Cucumber and Potato Soup with Dill, Gazpacho with White Beans, Corn Lover's Vegetable Stew, Zucchini Brownies (he really seems to like zucchini. which is fine. it's prolific. I can grow plenty of it.), Stuffed Cabbage with Lentils and Brown Rice, Potato Pancakes with Warm Applesauce, White Bean Soup with Winter Greens, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Thyme, and Braised Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts. Soups, when full of hearty vegetable ingredients and flavorful herbs/ spices, are a really good way to eat a restricted diet and still feel satisfied, which is why most of the recipes that I thought thought looked decent here were soups.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Whoa, this guy is kind of a nut-job. Have you ever heard of the paleolithic diet? It sounds like you're 75% on it already, and it took 80+ lbs off of me with me having to try that hard or "cardio", and I am pretty sure that (and I know this makes ME sound like a nut-job) it changed my personality, memory, and ability to cope w/ stress for the better.

Crystal haha. I don't think you're a nut job. Different diets work for different people, and it definitely sounds like the paleo diet worked for you. congrats on all the weight loss! I don't doubt you that you feel different. extra weight is a serious drag on your body, on your brain as well, since it's part of your brain. leads to inflammation and can really slow you down, physically and emotionally. I bet you feel like a whole new person! :) that's great!
I've looked through some paleo cookbooks, and some of it sounded really good. But I am not a huge meat eater. never have been. I definitely don't mind cutting out the refined carbs, like in paleo, but I'd rather replace them with vegetables and fruits and beans instead. Have you seen Forks over Knives yet? Plant-based is the way Brian and I both want to head.