Beans's Reviews > Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Drift by Rachel Maddow

Apr 09, 12

Read from April 03 to 09, 2012

I was ultimately pretty disappointed with this book. While the writing itself was great and the narration of how the state of the US military came to be how it is was extremely interesting, Maddow's insistance that "there is no conspiracy" was extremely frustrating. Apparently, the extraordinary growth of the military, presidential power to start wars, and the privatization of various aspects of war-making were merely a result of bad decision making and people ignoring or not standing up for the constitution. Maddow makes zero mention of any of the social aspects of this - what politicians in power gain from increasing terrorism threats (fear), who is inordinately being sent to fight (poor people of color), and a multitude of other political reasons someone might use war to their advantage.

So, overall, an interesting political history that didn't have the kind of analysis in it that would have made it a good political history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Simms I find it interesting that you fault the book for not being what you wNt it to be when it is, in fact, exactly what it set out to be. That's rather like giving a hamburger a mediocre review for not being a chicken sandwich.

message 2: by Marlo (new) - added it

Marlo Completely agree with Richard. You review is not helpful to me for this precise reason. It does not talk about what the book is and your experience with it as it is. This is what would help me learn more about if I should read this book or not.