Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > The Reapers Are the Angels

The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: zombies
Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I love zombie books, and this one grabbed me right away. I couldn't put it down, and really liked the main character Temple. Even though she was a cold-blooded killer when she had to be, she could also be a sweet fifteen-year-old girl, and a grown woman. Whatever the situation called for, she could handle it. And I loved that about her.

Temple is a young girl who starts out alone in a zombie-infested wasteland. The undead have been walking the streets for years, and she was actually born into this shitty world. So she's tough, knows how to survive and depends on her trusty gurkha knife. She also has no problem destroying zombies when she has to, and leaves them when they're not in her way.

She survives better on her own. But when she meets a pack of men who take her to some sheltered buildings, she captures the eye of one particular pervert. One she's forced to kill or be killed. Which begins the chase. Because now his brother is hunting her down and won't stop until he kills her.

Along the way she meets some really strange people. Ranging from a bunch of friendly hunters, a family that lives safely inside the comforts of their home, a pack of inbred, deformed psychos, a train that actually works, and a mute man called Maury. Which she actually goes out of her way to help.

As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed this book. It was a great story filled with a vivid and ugly future where the dead are still roaming the streets and the living are pretty much nuts and desperate. Still, Temple survives above all that and even though she's pretty rough around the edges, she also has a kind heart and I wanted to see her survive. Which is why I didn't like the way her life ends.

I think it's always risky to kill off the main character in a novel--it can work, especially in short stories--and this is one of those books where it didn't pay off. IMO, having Temple killed in such an easy manner didn't fit her struggle. And having someone else carry her story after her death didn't make up for it, either.

I was very disappointed with the ending of this book. After all the time I invested in Temple, I should've been saddened by her death not angry. I felt like her death wasn't justified.

It's such a shame because I was loving this book... :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reapers Are the Angels.

04/13/2012 page 133
44.0% "This is an excellent book so far!"
04/13/2012 page 229
76.0% "This book ain't pretty, but it's REALLY good!!"