Emily May's Reviews > The Calling

May 11, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf, 2012
Read from May 09 to 10, 2012

Reading The Calling so soon after finishing The Gathering is both a good and a bad thing. Good, because this book takes off exactly where we left the story in the last installment and there's absolutely no recapping for those who've forgotten what happened. Bad, because it only highlights the fact that Ms Armstrong does not have enough story for three books and this one was a complete waste of time and paper.

I really don't understand why every single publisher/author thinks that a trilogy is the only way to go. Two books are fine, two books are welcome when the alternative is a bout of middle book syndrome dawdling. Because nothing really happens in this book, and the stuff that is relevant doesn't take up enough pages that it couldn't be added to the next book. I am going to give Kelley Armstrong the benefit of the doubt and assume that she has an awesome ending planned and this book was just bridging the gap between the promising beginning and that perfect ending. I hope I'm right.

In The Calling it feels like the characters I'd come to know and love in the first book were just hanging around and waiting for something to happen... book three to arrive, perhaps? I didn't hate any of it, there wasn't really anything to hate, and I still like Armstrong's easy to read style that makes for a real guilty pleasure read when she does it properly. I don't know if it was her decision or the publisher's to make this into a trilogy, but I can tell you that it was the wrong one.

Not only that, but it also felt all too predictable. I saw everything coming and there were no surprises, mysteries or twists. It's not like we were really supposed to believe that (view spoiler) - were we?

It's very likely that I will read The Rising when it is released, although I might wait and see what the reviews are like first to see if it was an ending worth waiting for. I think it probably is, I think Armstrong has a decent story here, I just think she had two books worth instead of three.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.

Comments (showing 1-19)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tatiana Well, I was hoping you would enjoy it more than I did, but I guess, I was too optimistic. And I agree about (view spoiler)

Emily May Not to worry, I'm still holding out for a decent ending :)

Haley This trilogy is not a waste of time and paper. People just complain about books but really. Think about this: Can you do better?

Tatiana Don't you just love this argument, Emily?:o)

Emily May I do, Tatiana. In fact, I am deeply evaluating this question and looking to improve myself based on it. *rolls eyes* Where do people find the energy to bother typing this?

Tatiana I am just surprised how we, lowly non-writing people, are even allowed to read books and have opinions about them. Clearly, you have to be a chef to be allowed if food tastes good or not. Or be an architect to like or dislike a house. I can go on forever.

message 13: by Haley (last edited Oct 02, 2012 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haley Why are people so critical?
And seriously, I doubt you guys can do better.

Emily May A quick look at your profile tells me that you're one aim seems to be challenging the negative reviews of books you liked: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I'm sorry but I have no intention of wasting my time talking to someone who can't respect others' opinions. And seriously, don't doubt what Tatiana can do - her reviews are far better written than most books.

Haley I don't not respect other's opinion, I just think some people are too harsh.
Someone I know told me I get a bit too . . . vehement when it comes to discussions. Sorry if was offensive or anything but I didn't really feel it was nice when you said what you said and what Tatiana said.
And I have a question. Is it just me or is The Hunger Games Trilogy kind of . . . sucky?

Tatiana You honestly call your interactions with us here and other Goodreaders "discussions"? I doubt anyone would be interested to converse with you if you continue taking to them in this way. I certainly am not.

Haley Yes, discussions.

Emily May iloveConnorStoll wrote: "I don't not respect other's opinion, I just think some people are too harsh.

I'm not trying to be "nice" in reviews, I'm trying to be honest so that those who read them can make a decision as to whether or not they want to read a book. I would also like to point out that I think this is a very tame review compared to many out there.

And I enjoyed The Hunger Games, but I respect other opinions too.

Haley I guess being honest is good.
Did you read Mockingjay?

Emily May Yes, I read all three books.

Haley I apologize for being mean in my review earlier. I get pretty defensive.

~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~ This book had recaps, just most of the recaps weren't in the beginning. Which personally, I liked. I hated reading the recaps in the Darkest Powers series. Sometimes they're helpful but I feel most of the time they're just a waste of space. If you read the book before you should know what happens. If you forget, read a summary of the book.
A lot of people don't realize there's a trilogy before this one and I feel like that changes the game quite a bit. The second book was pretty much the bridge to connect the first series and the second series together. If you read the first series you find out that Kelley Armstrong did kill off some of the main characters. However, those characters didn't just die off in the series. They come back. This is due to the fact that Chloe can communicate with the dead. I agree some of the things in the book were predictable, but I feel like everything in it was there for a purpose, and that it was still suspenseful. Just not as much as some of her other books.

Emily May My problem with this book wasn't the lack of recapping - I was only saying that it's good to read this book soon after reading the first one because it follows straight on from it. I was advised by a friend not to read the Darkest Powers trilogy because it wasn't very good and I really enjoyed The Gathering without having read the DP series.

message 2: by Belinda (new)

Belinda i am an avid follower of your reviews. i felt the gathering was too slow but wanted to know how the story will end. if the calling is slower then thanks for the warning

Emily May Thanks Belinda! I definitely think this is one to skip if you were only so-so about the first one :)