Christine Boyer's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Mar 27, 12

Recommended to Christine by: Saw it on John's list
Recommended for: Maybe a budding writer who wants some clever adjectives? Lovers of fables.
Read from March 20 to 27, 2012, read count: 1

I'm really struggling here between 2 and 3 stars. I read a critique from the Los Angeles times that describes how I'm feeling, "The Tiger's Wife might have benefitted from a little less art and a little more life." First, I want to say "good job" to the young author. She was wonderfully descriptive and was able to portray things about death and war and life that seem like they would have come from an older, more seasoned author. She writes like a poet. I'm sure she will continue to grow and publish successful books. However, the story was boring for me. I couldn't wait to be finished - thank goodness it was short. Out of the 3 staples of writing: character, plot, and setting, she only hit the mark on setting. There was almost no characterization. I felt absolutlely nothing about Natalia, her grandfather, and the side characters. And there was no strong plot. In fact, it wasn't until about page 60 that the author started telling the fables/tales of her grandfather's life and that's where I at least began to have a little interest. Yet even those were so overly descriptive (yet oddly vague at the same time - never knowing city, country, etc.) that I quickly became bored and at the very end, even skimmed some of the story line of Natalia and her friend at the coast house with the sick family. It reminded me more of a book of short stories, and the short stories were all myths/fantasy. But, I would still say read it if you like what I have described. Just like every movie is not for everyone - so it is with books. This just isn't my kind of book. I like to go to bed dreaming about the characters and anxious to pick it up in the morning to see what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.