Mimi Valentine's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

There's "bizarre" and "different," and then there's this book... which is probably the best of both! I loooooooooooooooooooooved it so much!

Unspoken is one of those books that make you slap your forehead and wonder why you hadn't read it earlier. I couldn't stop grinning, yet at the same time, I couldn't breathe when it got intense. It kind of has the feel to it of Beautiful Creatures — small town, fantastic cast, feared magical family, and rich gothic mystery — except I liked this much, much more!

Kami and Jared make up a totally unorthodox pair that I seriously LOVE! ♥ They've never met before (they used to believe that the other was imaginary), but they've been able to talk into each other's minds since birth. People look at them strangely for stopping randomly to laugh at inner conversations, but Kami and Jared don't care. They've been best friends since forever, and they're like two halves of the same whole.

And when they do finally meet, it's so realistic! They don't know what to be at first (Friends? Girlfriend/boyfriend? Enemies?), but I promise your heart will go for a wild ride.

It's not just the romance that's so different from what I'm used to, but the characters themselves. Kami (witty teenage journalist extraordinaire) is strange and she knows it. But there's no angsty outcast drama here! She still has wonderful friends and a wonderful family despite her strangeness. And Jared... Jared is a leather-jacket-wearing bad boy who'd move heaven and Earth for Kami. My heart broke for him, ached for him, shone for him.

The wit is off the charts! Kami has such a smart mouth and the kind of reckless brain all reporters are born with; the banter had me cracking up constantly. Sarah Rees Brennan is a mastermind at creating a dynamic story filled with wonderfully unique characters, NONE of that hair-pulling cliche drama, and ALL of the intenseness of a great mystery.

Brilliantly witty and fantastically strange, Unspoken is an amazing novel that brings everything we've been looking for in YA without even knowing it! With a hilarious cast, smile-inducing dialogue, and a mystery that turns pages on its own, this book is sure to be a stunner! :)

BUY or BORROW?: This book was buy-worthy the moment Kami cracked her first joke! I want to own this for all of its hilarious one-liners and originality, and you should too! ;)

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

message 1: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Ooh, intriguing! Yay! :)

message 2: by Monika (new)

Monika This looks awesome. I Love this cover! I can't wait to see your review on this book :)

Mimi Valentine It really IS intriguing -- Kami is the strangest protagonist ever, and I'm really enjoying her spunk ;)

message 4: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Strange how?

Mimi Valentine Strange like she talks to a (believed to be) imaginary friend in her mind and stops randomly to laugh at things he says. Strange like she knows she's strange and doesn't care what people think about her. Strange like she's not the usual kind of heroine we're used to, nor are the other characters, and this isn't the usual story.

But that's all in a strangely cool way! ;) <3

message 6: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah A likes. :)

Mimi Valentine Good, because Kami is joining our sisterhood of awesome -- she's a wild journalist and can write about our epic adventures too! x)

message 8: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Yay! She has such a cool name. Kami and Mimi. :D

Mimi Valentine LOL!! I never thought of that before but it's so true! I think I like her even more than I did before <3 Now we're similar in strangeness AND names! It's too bad your name isn't Ami because then that would be a really wild coincidence x)

message 10: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Hehe. I could maybe adopt the name. Just for this. ;) Or even Emi.

message 11: by Mimi (last edited Jul 14, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Love it! I totally approve! You are officially Emi, and now when I call you that, everyone's going to think I'm weird -- but I don't care :') <3

message 12: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah *stifled giggle* Aww, let them think that! Weird is cool! And we'll tell them that, too. I'm with you all the way, Mims! :)

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Yay, Emi!! <3333333 Hehe I'm going to love calling you that x)

message 14: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah :D I think I'm already loving hearing it. ;) *Hugssssssssssssssssssss*

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine *bearhugs baaaaaaaaack*

P.S. This book is funny! I keep reading it in between checking Goodreads and I can't stop giggling at both you AND Kami! x) <3

message 16: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah :D

Hehe. I want to read! :) Lol, I commend you on being able to switch between here and your book. Someone can text me, I'll be reading something, and then I'll forget that I need to reply. *blushes*

I've been distracted by GR ALL DAY when I was supposed to be writing an essay. Thank heavens I've just got to finish the bibliography and then I'm done.

message 17: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine LOL don't worry -- I neglect my cell phone in favor of books too! My friends bug me about it, but I think they've already come to the conclusion that I'm probably reading if I don't reply right away :')

GO WRITE YOUR ESSAY/BIBLIOGRAPHY. (As long as you don't have to use MLA format or anything, I think you'll be good!) Haha I think I'm a very bad influence on you, Emi x) <3

Farah Jay you liked it?! i have it on my TBR list!

message 19: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Ahhh I'm so excited for this!! Need to read it soon...

message 20: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Haha, lol! My friend asked me if I was reading once, so I guess she gets it, too. :)

I FINISHED!!! At 1am last night, but still I FINISHED!! Nah, not you. I'm very easily distracted. ;) There's just so much you can do on the internet lol. One of my friends actually blocks her favourite sites if she has to revise for an exam or something.

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine @Farah: I just finished this and IT WAS SO GOOD! I think you should move it onto your TBR-priority list :') <3

@Sierra: Aaaaaaah, Sierra, I loved this book so much more than I expected! You could probably request it from Netgalley if you really want to read it! :)

@A: YAY! *claps wildly* I hope you get an A++! I know, the internet is not very good for procrastination... (I can think of a million and one ways to be distracted LOL) I don't think I'd ever be able to actually BLOCK something like your friend x) I just like knowing I can have access to it! My one friend disables her Facebook during exam period though, and she goes through withdrawal quickly :')

Kaylee Magic OMG I take it there's a cliffhanger?! But you're still making me want to buy this book, Mimi! (x The cover is so pretty and strangeness rocks! <3333

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine A very, very heartbreaking semi-cliffhanger, Kay :( But the cliffhanger doesn't take away from the epic awesome that is this book, so you HAVE to read it ASAP!

message 24: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Thanks! It's actually a draft, so hopefully the tutor will be able to check it on time, as the real thing is due on Wednesday, along with a presentation, which I still have to do. Lol, I know right! Aww, the internet is just too addicting.

Glad to see you loved this! :)

message 25: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Aww, good luck with your presentation, Emi! Do you have to read your essay out loud or something? I remember doing that for English class and it being terrible :') But I'm sure you'll do amazing! <3

message 26: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Mimi wrote: "@Farah: I just finished this and IT WAS SO GOOD! I think you should move it onto your TBR-priority list :') <3

I did! I got it from NetGalley...now I need to read it...LOL I'm pretty darn behind on my NetGalley's though...so not cool. MUST. CATCH. UP.

message 27: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine LOL I think Netgalley's super-dangerous because it can make your TBR pile grow like that x) *snaps fingers* But, you know, I think you should consider bumping this one up a few spots hehe :') <3

message 28: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams I'm definitely definitely going to now that I know you love it!! <3 I'm so intrigued by the idea - and that GORGEOUS cover - that I don't think I'll be able to resist much longer!! ;)

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine *whistles innocently* And my compulsion powers strike again! Now I can go to sleep feeling very accomplished :') LOL and a gorgeous cover never hurts too! ;)

message 30: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Mimi wrote: "*whistles innocently* And my compulsion powers strike again! Now I can go to sleep feeling very accomplished :') LOL and a gorgeous cover never hurts too! ;)"

Ahahahaha well, I've never tried to resist your compulsion powers because, MY are they strong!!! ;) Oh yes, it's so true! Goodnight dear! Sleep well - and be sure to check your email in the morning and read my fangirly email! ;)

message 31: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Thanks, Mims! The pres has to sum up what's in the essay, so we can do it whichever way we want, for example just verbally or with a powerpoint. I think I'm gonna go with a powerpoint. Aww, really, why? I hope so! Fingers crossed. ;)

Yay for this being different! I find that there's a lot of stuff out there the same as I've already read, so it's brilliant to find something so refreshing. Gorgeous review, Mims! :)

message 32: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine @Sierra: I slept innnnnnnnnnn! That might sound like a good thing, but I'm more of a no-sleep kind of girl so I feel like I wasted my day away D: *snaps fingers* But anyways, I am off to read my email right now!! :)

@Sam: You absolutely need to give this one a shot, Sam! I was seriously thinking of giving it five stars just for the fact that it was so refreshingly awesome, but for some reason, it fell onto four stars instead! Hmmmm I might need to reassess LOL x)

@A: I love powerpoint presentations! They're so much easier because it feels like everyone is looking at the slides and not you, which always lifts some of the pressure LOL x) Good luck with it, Emi! And thanks so much for the review praise -- it means a lot! :') <3

message 33: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Mimi wrote: "@Sierra: I slept innnnnnnnnnn! That might sound like a good thing, but I'm more of a no-sleep kind of girl so I feel like I wasted my day away D: *snaps fingers* But anyways, I am off to read my em..."

Ahahahaha oh man I got up early today...which is a good thing, because normally I'm the opposite - I loooove my sleep! LOL OK YAYAYAYAYAY!!

message 34: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine LOOOOOL there's that "opposites attract" thing!! x) <3

message 35: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Haha, I know! I actually don't mind giving presentations, and rather than being last I prefer to go first. ;) Thank youuuu! :)

And speaking of sleep - I got woken up today! :O For once I had a day off and I still had to get out of bed! Grr.

message 36: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Ditto on the first rather than last thing LOL! Because the teachers tend to be easier on the people who volunteer to go first, and everyone always remembers the last person who presents most :')

And awww, you were woken up on your day off? That sucks! I remember that my sister always does that because she forgets to turn her alarm off LOL x)

message 37: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Yup. And of course you can get it over with and stop worrying. ;) The only thing that sucks is seeing how much better everyone else's is, lol.

Yes. :( Aww, really? That sucks! I just set it the night before, so it's never always on. But yeah, today I was woken up by a phone call. And I had to leave the house. In the rain. :'(

message 38: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Mimi wrote: "LOOOOOL there's that "opposites attract" thing!! x) <3"

LOL YOU....are a genius. But we already knew that. Plus, your compulsion powers. hahahahaha ;)

message 39: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine @A: That's exactly what I do with my alarm! Sounds like we're the only smart people between us and my sister LOL... just kidding! x) <3 But on the bright side, you could jump in puddles, right? Haha or maybe that's just me :')

@Sierra: Now I'm a genius with compulsion powers? LOL! You're no good for my ego! x) <3

♥Rachel♥ I have this one, Mimi but I keep putting it off because I have to read it on my computer. They didn't have a kindle version. I need to read it soon. Your review makes this sound wonderful, plus, I love a good mystery! Excellent review <3! :)

message 41: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Hehe. No, I don't like jumping in puddles. :( My feet always get wet anyway. I like to be warm and dry. ;)

message 42: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine @Rachel: Thanks so much, Rachel! :) It's too bad they didn't have the kindle version -- it's always so much easier to read on an e-reader -- but I hope you love this like I did! The mystery is FANTASTIC, and Jared is amazing! <3

@A: That's what rain boots are for, I guess LOL! And sunny days x) Hopefully you don't get woken up by a phone call on your next day off and it's sunny to make up for yesterday :')

message 43: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Which I don't have lol. Yay for sunny days! I miss them. :( My next day off was actually today, because of staff training. :D Nope, I didn't get woken up. Thanks, Mims. :)

message 44: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine You're lacking sunshine in the UK? Aww, you can take some from Canada then! We've been having a succession of grass-killing sunny dryness, although I think it's supposed to thunderstorm today when I walk home from work LOL :') But I hope you have an amazing day off, Emi! Read awaaaaaaay <3

message 45: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Yep. All the sunshine has been sucked away by the endless rain. I really don't know what's up with this weather. Aww, thank you! Oh, I hope it doesn't. Unless you don't mind and can splash in puddles lol. ;) Haha, I wish. I've been editing my essay and now I've got to the part I wish didn't exist. Cutting it so it fits the wordcount. And then I have more stuff to do after that. :'(

message 46: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Mimi wrote: "@A: That's exactly what I do with my alarm! Sounds like we're the only smart people between us and my sister LOL... just kidding! x) <3 But on the bright side, you could jump in puddles, right? Hah..."

Ahahaha!! Sorry...I can't help it! ;) But seriously? It's going to thunderstorm? I loooove rain!! I want it to rain here, but it's much much much too hot here. >:[ LOL

message 47: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah And it's way too rainy here! Send the sun over please? I'll send the rain to you. :)

message 48: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams Aa'Ishah wrote: "And it's way too rainy here! Send the sun over please? I'll send the rain to you. :)"

I really really wish I could!! LOL ;)

message 49: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine GUYS, I HAVE A PLAN! We need to go all X-Men and adopt Storm's powers to control the weather so we can have the sunshine/rain that we all want :') Would that be epic?? Beach day whenever you feel like it and storm-watching when you're in the mood! (Watching lightning is soooooo pretty <3)

And if you don't know what X-Men is, I think I might pass out with shock LOL! x)

message 50: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Please don't pass out! I know what it is, but I've only watched a little bit of it. But yes, it would be epic. Your brain is just whizzing with awesome ideas today. :)

« previous 1