Katie Wagner's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

F_50x66
Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: 13-25, ya-literature-class

This a dystopian story about a the capitol city of Panem, and their 12 districts. Because of the revolt that the districts have had in the past, they hold an annual reaping where each district chooses one boy and on girl between the ages of 12-18 to fight to the death in an area while everyone watches everything that happens. Primrose Everdeen is chosen and she is only 12 years old. Her older sister Katniss volunteers to stand in her place. The story show Katniss in the Games fighting for her life, while meeting a new friend, Rue, and helping her fellow District 12 member Peeta survive. Their romance helps to keep both of them alive.
I loved this book. The beginning was slow, but I think that was just me. I thought that the book was going to start out with her right in the games. But I loved the book. It was somewhat original, and very character choice driven which I love. I love how strong Katniss is. Read it, and don't not read it just because it's "popular." Sometimes popular literature can also be well-written literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.