Chris's Reviews > The Unraveling

The Unraveling by Hugh Howey

Mar 28, 12

Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** While I liked each of the Wool stories more as I went, this, the fourth one, seemed to drop off for me. I read each of the first three in a day or two, but this one sat on my "currently reading" shelf and hovered on my Kindle for about a week, which is unusual for me.

I think it all has to do with the characters. I liked each protagonist more as the overall Wool story has progressed, but could not connect to Knox and the uprising felt forced. It's like they went from zero to mass producing guns overnight. The Juliette/Lukas stuff was really good and I was very close to just skipping over the Knox portions of the story.

The other reason I felt like the score dipped on this one in relation to the previous stories was the ending. The other stories at least had closure with a hook for a sequel. This one felt more like the end of a television episode where I needed to tune in next week for the season finale. Not a huge deal for me since I bought the Omnibus, but if I was buying these one at a time I would be bitter at only a partial story.

That being said, Howey's writing has definitely progressed as the stories have gone on (I think my only nit-picky thing is that he used the word "stole" as a very for Juliette's action twice in two pages - which only stood out because I thought it was a weird usage... then he did it again). And the world in which Wool takes place is well imagined and I like the way that we're gradually learning more about it.

If I could, I'd give 3.5 stars on this one. It's really in comparison to the previous three and a single un-relatable character that hurt this one for me. I'm assuming I'll get more Juliette/Lukas in the next one so there's the possibility of a rebound on the horizon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unraveling.