kb's Reviews > Sing Me to Sleep

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: cringe-festival
Read from August 19 to 21, 2012

I was supposed to give this a two-star rating but because of all these misleading hypes that pushed me to pick this up, I'm downgrading it to just one now. Because it was horrible. Okay, not all of it was horrible, like the first part which sounded like The Princess Diaries but not as self-deprecating. BUT! I thought Angela Morrison was too ambitious that her ideas just kept on flying mid-book and come the resolution parts, she had no other way to continue her story but to use cliches. I. can't. even. I'm really annoyed.

More Boo!s
-So Beth, the protagonist, sounds like ANTM Cycle 15 Winner Ann Ward but with more zits but GURL, ACNE CAN BE CURED SO WHY THE HECK CAN'T YOU SHUT UP ABOUT PITYING YO SELF. Clearly, she just wanted some LUV.
-Which she got when she flew to Switzerland with her choir for CHORAL OLYMPICS, VOILA! and met this ~pale, pale but ~beautiful singing boy Derek.
-Of course, from that description, you already know what the story's all about. No, Derek's not a vampire. But he has a "drug habit." AND NOW CAN WE SAY FOR ALL NICHOLAS SPARKS PLOTS TO BE BURNED??
-And then there's Scott, Beth's ever-loyal best friend whom she FRIENDZONED most part of the book and then used him by the end when something SO, SO TERRIBLE happened - gasp!!! SURPRISE: Derek died. Now sue me for spoiling it for you.
-You might be wondering how Beth got it on with Derek in the first place when she claims for the first quarter of the book that she was so DAMN UGLY. Well, her very stereotypical villain-turned-mate Meadows and her equally predictable makeover-fiend mom turned her over with surgeries and new clothes and makeup.
-Which just goes to show that there is NOTHING in Beth but a love-starved person.
-Can't blame her, though. Her parents are AWFUL.
-How Morrison played music into the whole story was also awful. Maybe her intention was for Beth to come off as deep or something but she just appeared LAME to me. And how about Derek's songwriting skills? Well, can we talk about his song title skills first? BETH'S SONG? BETH'S SONG? REALLY NOW.
-And one more thing that's awful about this book? Uh, the WHOLE BIT?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing Me to Sleep.