Kait's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Aug 14, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

A Wizard of Earthsea is a older children's book that I had picked up on recommendation of one of those "top 100 fantasy books" lists. I saw it at a used bookstore for very little money, and thought I would add it to my collection. Truthfully, I do look forward to building a fantasy collection that I can enjoy with my children, and that they can enjoy again when they're old enough to read on their own.

I found this book easy to read, evenly paced, and interesting. I could see many children relating to Sparrowhawk in his different changes in life, and I could see adults relating to him in his adulthood.

I love Guin's simple choice of language. Even in the words that do not fit into the English language, she has made them easy to recognize, pronounce and remember. Some days I feel like fantasy writers take it on themselves to see how many constenents they can fit into a word without vowels, and see how many people stumble trying to pronounce the words. This wasn't a book I would have to stumble through to read aloud.

I enjoyed A Wizard of Earthsea, and I am looking forward to reading it to my daughter when she's old enough!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.

10/04/2008 page 110
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Hanna (new)

Hanna I haven't read these since I was a kid, but I think the second one was my favourite

Kait Cool, I have the nest 3 on my wishlist. I am happy to add books to my collection that I can enjoy with my munchkin (when she's not so munchkin-esque).