Amy Elaine's Reviews > Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son

Some Assembly Required by Anne Lamott

Apr 06, 2012

bookshelves: location-shelf, genre-memoirs-essays-bios
Read from March 30 to April 04, 2012

What a lovely new book from Anne Lamott. I love that her writing is so human, clever, and honest. While the book's main anchor is about her grand-sons first year, she explores her connection to the divine, and nagivating her new relationship with her son, her grand-son, and her grand-sons mother. I have been working on the concept of "keep your eyes on your own mat" - a beautiful idea I first read in a blog by Jessica Berger Gross. Anne, it appears, is working with the same concept. She relays "I practiced releasing them to grow and find their own way" and "It is the most difficult Zen practice to leave people to their destiny, even though it's painful - just loving them, and breathing with them, and distracting them in a sweet way, and laughing with them". "I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if something was not my problem, I probably did not have the solution". I am taking these ideas to heart, and working on putting them into practice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Assembly Required.

Quotes Amy Elaine Liked

Anne Lamott
“We aren't a drop in the ocean, but are the ocean, in drops.”

Anne Lamott
“This family business can be so stressful - difficult, damaged people showing up t spend time with other difficult, damanged people”

Anne Lamott
“I recognize the divinity in you, but actually more like, I recognize our each-otherness, instantly”

Anne Lamott
“You lose the known package of your nice organized self almost instantly here. Overeating is one way back, the way it is at funerals at home.”

Anne Lamott
“You should not bring more items and hurdles to the obstacle course.”

Anne Lamott
“Everything was coming together by coming apart . . . It is the most difficult Zen practice to leave people to their destiny, even though it's painful - just loving them, and breathing with them, and distracting them in a sweet way, and laughing with them . . . if something was not my problem, I probably did not have the solution.”

Anne Lamott
“Don't be mean to yourself, though . . .this is the only sin.”

Anne Lamott
“The single most radical thing I know . . . is that I get to take care of myself.”

Anne Lamott
“Life is like a nice fresh batch of Swiss cheese. Note to self: savor the holes, too, like the spaces between musical notes.”