Lisa RC's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: another-world, running-away, romance, ugh, science-fiction
Read from March 31 to April 07, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Ally Condie
“In the end you can't always choose what to keep. You can only choose how you let it go.”

Ally Condie
“Love has different shades. Like the way I loved Cassia when I thought she'd never love me. The way I loved her on the Hill. The way I love her now that she came into the canyon for me. It's different. Deeper. I thought I loved her and wanted her before, but as we walk through the canyon together I realize this could be more than a new shade. A whole new color.”

Ally Condie
“Two little dark figures, looking up. Are they looking at me? Is is him? This far away there's only one way to know. I point to the sky.”

Ally Condie
“For a moment nothing happens. The figure stands still and I stand cold and alive and-
He starts to run. I make my way down the rocks, slipping, sliding, trying to get to the plain. I wish, I think, my feet clumsy, moving too fast, not fast enough, I wish i could run, I wish I'd written a whole poem, I wish I kept the compass-
And then I reach the plain and wish for nothing but what I have. Ky. Running toward me. I have never seen him run like this, fast, free, strong, wild. He looks so beautiful, his body moves so right. He stops just close enough for me to see the blue of his eyes and forget the red on my hands and the green I wish I wore. "You're here," he says, breathing hard and hungry. sweat and dirt cover his face, and he looks at me as though I'm the only thing he ever needed to see. I open my mouth to say yes. But I only have time to breathe in before he closes the last of the distance. All I know is the kiss.”

Ally Condie
“It's not knowing how to write that makes you interesting, it's what you write.”

Ally Condie
“I climb into the dark for you
Are you waiting in the stars for me?”

Ally Condie
“She cried before she slept. I reached out to touch the ends of her hair. She didn't notice. I didn't know what to do. Listening to her made me ache. I felt tears stream down my face too. And when I accidentally brushed Eli with my arm his face was wet where his tears ran down. We have all been carved out by our sorrow. Cut deep like canyon walls.”

Ally Condie
“Not many people know how to make letters like this," he says. "Do you ever teach anyone?"
"Only once," I say.”

Ally Condie
“Why won't you hold me?" I ask, drawing back a little.

He laughs a little, holds out his hands as if in explanation. They are covered in dirt and paint and blood.

I pull his hand to mine, put my palm against his. I can feel the grit of sand, the slick of paint, and the cuts and scrapes that speak of his own journey.

"It will all come clean," I tell him.”

04/01/2012 page 38