tonya.'s Reviews > Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: favorities-of-2012, ya, 2012, arcs, contemporary, favorites
Recommended for: those who liked Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
Read from March 27 to April 01, 2012

I was three pages into Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone when I looked up from the page and said to myself--out loud, mind you, because that's the kind of person I am (crazy)--"holy moly, I'm going to love this book."

And I was right.

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone starts off with a sex scene--you know, like you do in YA. Except, rather than being written in the hushed and titillating tones of most stories, when sex is the climax rather than the opener, it is written in a way that is raw and gritty and a little uncomfortable in its reality. And eventually, sad.

Sad in a way that reached inside me and twisted up parts that are still a little tender and bruised. Sad in the way the best writers can punch you in the stomach with how accurately and beautifully they can describe the pain.

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone tells the story of Rebecca, and how the night of her high school graduation changed everything. It is an almost ethereal kind of murder mystery, switching back and forth between Becca and Amelia's points of view. It keeps you guessing, even when you are as sure as Rebecca who the killer is.

To me, it is the story of how growing up--moving on, moving away, chasing your future--can feel like a death. How the person you are trying to become must first murder the person you used to be.

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone is a beautifully written story of first love, loss, murder, and the pain of moving on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.

03/27/2012 page 3
1.0% "Three pages in and already in love. LOVE." 2 comments
03/30/2012 page 79
29.0% "Gah. This book was written for me to read at this exact time in my life."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Beegirl (new) - added it

Beegirl I'm looking forward to reading it!

Shanna I just went to Amazon and it says this book isn't being released until July! How did you get a copy of it, chica? I wanna read it and how can I possibly wait that long? ;)

tonya. Shanna wrote: "I just went to Amazon and it says this book isn't being released until July! How did you get a copy of it, chica? I wanna read it and how can I possibly wait that long? ;)"

I had some friends who went to BEA a couple months ago and got a bunch of Advanced Readers Copies that they let me borrow. :)

Wendy Darling I liked this one too, Tonya! I thought it had a similar feel to IMAGINARY GIRLS as well. I should have known we'd agree on a book like this.