Kolleen's Reviews > Pure

Pure by Julianna Baggott

2195113
Apr 04, 12

Read from March 27 to April 04, 2012

Another one of those books that has an intriguing concept with a poor execution. I started off this book hating it, and by the end I loved it. All in all, I really don't know how I felt about it. Way too dark and disturbing, and not at all like The Hunger Games, which everyone keeps comparing it too.

Pure is a post-apocolyptic story about the destruction of the old world and the new world that is going to be rebuilt in its wake. Those that survived the atomic bomb without deformations were sent to the Dome, a save haven where people are rebuilt and housed until the radiation ends in the outside world and people are safe to travel outdoors again. Those that survived but are deformed are left to fend for themselves in the outside, becoming weak, poverty-struck wretches. Soon enough, a Pure escapes from the Dome and we find out that all is not what it seems to be, and this is when it starts to get interesting.

What put me off about this book was that the deformities of the wretches seemed so far fetched. When I learned about the fusions, I tried to be open-minded, but as they got harder and harder to fathom, I just got annoyed. Then we learn about the Dusts and the Meltlands, and what was a great dystopian book quickly became a not so great fantasy story. Overall, I rated it 3 stars, because 2 felt too low based on how much I enjoyed it at the end. The jury's still out on whether or not I will read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.