Clarissa's Reviews > Wildefire

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, annoying-main-character, creepy, paranormal, reincarnation, super-duper-hype
Read in March, 2012

Ok, so I saw two reviews of this book, one from Wendy Darling and the other from Vinaya. They were at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Wendy Darling says she didn't finish it it was so bad and Vinaya says it had a rough start but was worth the effort. So I figured I should give it a try. If you are also wondering if you should give it a try, save your time and give it a miss. The purple prose that bogs this book down, dragging it in the mud like a day in March when the clouds are full and ready to fertilize the ground with rain, was really too much. It was really like the sentence I just wrote. Terrible. Where are the editors these days??? Seriously. I did have fun writing imaginary x's through pointless paragraphs. I was reading an e-version. If I was reading a paperback of it, it really would have been tempting to mark it up and send it to Knight. But that would be mean.

There were so many rants given by teenagers that would never be uttered or thought by teenagers. This is a common problem in YA and sometimes I'm willing to forgive it. But not this time. Every kid sounded the same. They all were either too sincere (Colt) or too sarcastic. Here is a tirade given by Ashline's sister Eve in the first chapter.

"I know that you feel it in you, the same way I did when I gave the middle finger to this place and rode off into the sunset. Do you really feel like you belong in this Wonder Bread town? Have you ever felt like you belonged here?"
This little speech was given in front of a crowd of other teenagers. Yeah, she seriously said, "rode off into the sunset" while talking about herself. This book was not worth the ink it was printed on. Save your money and your time. That being said. spoiler: (view spoiler)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildefire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling If I was reading a paperback of it, it really would have been tempting to mark it up and send it to Knight. But that would be mean.

Hah!

Well, I'm sorry this was a disappointment to you too, Clarissa. I must say, the author does come across really well, though, in the small number of interactions I've seen online. Maybe the next book will be better.