Joanne's Reviews > Empty

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, dystopian
Read in March, 2012

Being a fan of The Barcode Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn, I was happy to pick up is ok from the library. With current gas prices predicted to rise, the book seemed timely. Set in the not too distant future, the gas is running out and the world as we know it is starting to end. With out electricity what would people do without their cell phones, mp3 players, tables, ereaders, even the Internet?

What makes this book unnerving is the fact that oil will run out and we need to start using more alternative energy sources. Our society is very dependent on oil for our daily living.

The downside of the novel is that it is so short. Being a quick read, I flew though the pages wanting to find out what would happen next. The novel reaches its climax and then rushes to the ending, I wanted to read more, The ending provided very little time for the reader to flesh out everything that was going on. I understand the author's point, but I would have preferred a longer story line. The plus side- the novel provides a great opportuni for discussion on the topics on energy conservation and alternative energy resources.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empty.