Larry Berthold's Reviews > Trading Manny: How a Father and Son Learned to Love Baseball Again

Trading Manny by Jim Gullo

Mar 27, 2012

Read from March 27 to 31, 2012

picked this as my 'spring training' read to welcome baseball back...am damn glad I did. Was worried that the subject might lead to repetition on a theme...how many times/ways can one say steroids are bad..baseball or otherwise...for an otherwise healthy athletic person to ingest? But that was exactly the point...no one was really saying it enough in reference to the game, the religion of baseball. No one was preseting answers to help bridge the affects of the affront on the lives of the fan. Jim Gullo takes his feelings of scorn and disappointment and works his way back...via the thoughts and experiences in the relationship between father and son and the only sport they trust(ed). The tale lays down the framework on the place of baseball in our hearts and in the annual cycle of maturation...and rarely (never) jumps into melodramatic emotion...Mr. Gullo works a magical blend of betrayal, emotion, and reclamation (out of necessity) to re-construct his own field of dreams and graciously allows us along for the trip. Very nicely done. Spring brings renewal and all things are again possible. Smell that grass and dirt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trading Manny.