Teresa's Reviews > Farewell to Manzanar

Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell to Manzanar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara I read this many years ago. I liked it too!

Teresa Barbara wrote: "I read this many years ago. I liked it too!"

I'm rating it on my memories of reading it and rereading it as an adolescent. Because of it, I learned about an event, fairly early on in my life, that I didn't learn in school.

Barbara I don't think they taught that subject... :(

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa Barbara wrote: "I don't think they taught that subject... :("

Exactly. :(

message 5: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue was this written for all ages or as a young adult book?

Teresa Sue wrote: "was this written for all ages or as a young adult book?"

I'm sure it was marketed for young readers, and I haven't read it as an adult so no idea how it holds up.

Barbara It is rare fro me to read a YA book, but I think it is classified as such. I read it as an adult (years ago) and it sustained my interest.

message 8: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Thanks Teresa and Barbara.

Joan Winnek I think this is not only YA. I remember it as excellent literature. Just no sex.

Teresa Joan wrote: "I think this is not only YA. I remember it as excellent literature."

I agree, Joan. And I looked in the inside of my (rather old) copy and it says for ages 7 to adult. I know I got my copy through the Scholastic books I ordered through school, which is what made think it was marketed for younger readers. But a quick look at the prose shows one would have to be very precocious to read it at age 7!

message 11: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Thanks for the further info. Perhaps at some point I'll get to it.