Doreen Fritz's Reviews > The Heat Islands

The Heat Islands by Randy Wayne White

Mar 27, 2012

Read in March, 2012

A fast-paced mystery that added depth to the characters of Doc Ford and others who live in his home marina, and that encouraged me to keep reading the series. The mystery in this installment came from the discovery of a floating body -- who turned out to be the disliked owner of the newest marina on Sanibel Island. There was nobody who liked this guy, so the list of potential murderers is long -- but the guy who is arrested is one of Doc Ford's friends, a fishing guide who can't account for his whereabouts at the time of the murder. A second story surrounds another sinister character, the dead man's brother-in-law, who is slowly revealed to be a rapist and murderer. As I am discovering, Doc has some similarity to James Bond in that he seems to be wooing a new woman (or two or three) in each novel -- this book introduces us to Dewey Nye, a young tennis player that had inspired Doc to get into shape. As usual, reading this series entices me to visit the Sanibel Island area to learn more about the wildlife, and to enjoy the scenery and the warm temperatures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heat Islands.