Brett Tompkins's Reviews > American Sniper

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

Mar 29, 12

Read from March 27 to 29, 2012

Fantastic story. Almost unreal. I had heard that the battles for Fallujah and Ramdi were tough, but reading a first hand account was fascinating. I liked this book much better than Coughlin or Wadins sniper books. Kyle had many more cool war stories to tell. In their defense, they served before 9-11 so they most likely didn't have as many opportunities.
It was interesting reading about all the killing and death that Kyle delt out. In a different context, it would sound like a serial killer wrote this book. These soldiers view of killing was very candid, and they treated it almost like a sport; like hunting. I can't imagine what wasr is like, but it is interesting to get a view of it by reading their stories.
I laugh at the people who criticized the writing style of this book. You need to keep in mind, this a dude, a Navy SEAL, telling a story. Who cares if the sentences are short or choppy? This isn't literature so I don't know why you would expect it to sound like anything other than a dude telling a story.
This guy is a bad-ass. He goes back and forth between cocky and humble, but in the end, he has paid his dues to back it up and deserves to act any way he wishes. I only wish more Americans were like this guy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.