Nikki's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Mar 27, 2012

Read on March 26, 2012

Okay. I absolutely love YA lit. I can't help it. I guess I've just never really forgotten what it was like to be 15, or 17, in this case.

This book was wonderful. Hands down. Just a great story. I sympathized SO much with the character, because I was SO MUCH like her when I was a teenager. Melodramatic, hopelessly romantic, and while I didn't completely lose myself in my unrequited love, I lost myself enough to know exactly what she felt like. I have DEFINITELY experienced that "...This is just not going to work, no amount of devoted loving will ever make this work" moment and know exactly how hard it is to detach yourself from the one you love, especially when they seem ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

I loved the way Sadie gradually started to realize how imperfect Garrett was. When you first meet Garrett in the book, he DOES seem almost perfect, like the lit nerd's version of Prince Charmng. As Sadie goes through her 12-step program to get over him, you start to realize....actually, Garrett can be a bit of a jerk. He's not a BAD guy, but he's definitely not as perfect as Sadie thought he was. I like that. He's not as great as she thought, but he's also not a horrible person. It was REALISTIC.

Such a good book. I'm definitely going to look for more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.