Newport Librarians's Reviews > Split

Split by Swati Avasthi

I picked this book up and put it back down many times before actually reading it. It is difficult, but ultimately very well done. I found myself frustrated at Christian's and Jace's lack of willingness to connect, but I think Avasthi did a very good job of connecting readers with their mindset and ultimately I understood why they did some of the crazy things they did.

Christian and Jace are characters that will make you angry both at them and for them. They will frustrate you and they will draw you in and make you route for their survival both physically and emotionally.

The book ends on a hopeful note, but realistically leaves you knowing they still have a long way to go. One reviewer said "there are no true villains [except their dad] and no true heroes in this book, except maybe Miriam". There are just real people and that is what makes it such a roller coaster ride.

It is ultimately an excellent book and if you can stand the subject matter - spousal/child abuse and the ramifications - I highly recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split.