Nancy's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Mar 27, 12

Read in March, 2012

The Empress Alexander has sunk and some of the passengers escaped on lifeboats. That is where we begin this story, in the lifeboat and on the first day. Grace, the protagonist, made it onto a lifeboat and we see the events and the people through her eyes. In some ways it is a literal recounting of the 21 days on the lifeboat as Grace is writing journal entries to remember each day and event as she sits in a jail cell in Boston. The crime is not currently clear but will be explained, day by day, how the group changes and power shifts. What will each of the life boat members do to survive? What will they sacrifice?

In some ways, the book reminded me of Life of Pi. It is also an allegory for society. In the microcosm of the lifeboat, power, sacrifice, greed, and convention along with God are all touched upon and change like the weather and waves. In the vast ocean, one tiny lifeboat could be overlooked. Does anybody know they are there? Does anybody care? Who is in charge? Who can save them?

The book is riveting and, at times, disturbing. Great book club book with many themes left for discussion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lewis (new) - added it

Lewis Weinstein Thanks. Added to my list.

Méchant Loup Definitely added. So besides life of pi can you relate it to any other authors? Goes the writing style? Dry, simple, complex, metaphorical, verbose, etc? Thanks

Nancy Jason wrote: "Definitely added. So besides life of pi can you relate it to any other authors? Goes the writing style? Dry, simple, complex, metaphorical, verbose, etc? Thanks"

Definitely metaphorical and layered with meaning, depending how you read it. The days flow, as does the writing style. It's been awhile since I read it.

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Thanks for your review. Another one on my list. Love your book selection!!!