Bronwyn Trusty's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mar 27, 12

** spoiler alert ** Leaving the arena alive along side her star crossed lover, Peeta, the two return home to their struggling District 12. They move into their separate victor houses next to Haymitch, their mentor in the games. Katniss brings her mother and sister, Prim, to live with her. For the first time, they don't struggle putting food on the table or surviving because of Katniss's win in The Hunger Games. Katniss not only struggles with returning to her normal life and dealing with the nightmares of the arena, but she is stuck between confused feelings for Gale and Peeta. Before Katniss and Peeta take off for their victory tour to all of the districts and back to the capitol, Katniss gets a surprise visit from President Snow and not a very pleasant one.
The victory tour ends with a fake engagement between Katniss and Peeta to appease President Snow's threats and accusations of rebellion because of the poisonous berries, but that is still not good enough. When Katniss accidentally hears about an uprising in another district she knows her rebellion against the capitol has something to do with it.
With this year being the Quarter Quell, a dramatic twist the games occurs, putting Katniss and Peeta in another terrible situation.

This book was amazing. I couldn't put it down, similar problem I had with The Hunger Games. I feel a connection with these characters and it is very saddening because they just can't catch a break. You can't help but want to fight with them out of anger. I would recommend and teach this book to middle school students and to high school students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth This site needs a like button. I'm glad you like it. This and the first one are my favorites. Finish the trilogy soon!