Bronwyn Trusty's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Mar 27, 12

** spoiler alert ** Miles Halter is a teenager boy who does not seem to fit in at his school. He does not really have any friends, at all. He decides to go to a boarding school, Culver Creek, to try something and somewhere new. He moves in and meets Chip, who goes by the name Colonel, who is his roommate. Miles is introduced to the Colonel's friends at Culver Creek; a "hott girl" Alaska and Takumi- a rather amusing character in this story. Miles finds himself very intrigued with Alaska because of her outgoing personality and her good looks, of course, but she has a boyfriend. Miles, who gets the nickname of Pudge (opposite of his skinny/awkward body) is now taking part in the activities of his new gang of friends, like drinking and smoking. Their group also finds the pleasure of pranking the rich kids who go home on the weekends (The Weekend Warriors). The story is basically split up into two parts- the before and after days. We can tell something important will be happening because of the initial before "countdown." The gang goes through something tragic. The "after" part of the book deals with them trying to deal with the loss of a friend. They search for answers and learn how to cope together, or try to at least.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought the characters had very interesting and amusing personalities, which added much humor to a not so funny story. The book deals with finding yourself and then trying to find yourself in the face of the loss of a friend (or someone who may be more than just a friend). I know from experience that losing someone at that age in your teenage years is a very painful and confusing situation to go through, which is why I felt a connection with this book. I would recommend this book to students because I think they could make connections and get something out of the story, but I would not teach it in my class because of certain context of the book (foul language, sex, underage drinking, smoking, etc.).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.