camilla's Reviews > Bitterblue

19739
Mar 31, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, read-2012
Read from March 27 to 30, 2012

Sooo...this was good but not as amazing as Graceling or Fire. I think it's because there's so much going on in Bitterblue's castle, and country for that matter, and she's privy to so little that it's frustrating. The reader gets just as frustrated as the main character. It's neat to have a Cashore main character who does not have a Grace. I loved seeing Katsa and Po and some other returning characters from the previous books. And the new characters were pretty awesome, Saf especially. When did Giddon get so nice? Besides being confused for much of the beginning, my only real criticism is the romance. It's great but the ending left me a bit sad. I really do love how Cashore includes gay characters and hints at the Seven Kingdoms changing their laws so that women can fight in the army or people can marry people of their own gender. It's pretty revolutionary for teen lit, especially since those same laws don't exist everywhere in our world. These books get dark though. Though Leck is dead his ghastly legacy lives on. I think when this comes out and I buy my copy I might have to read it again and see if it's more enjoyable the second time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.