Katrina Carrasco's Reviews > Tipping the Velvet

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

May 05, 2012

Read from May 03 to 05, 2012

This book was fantastic. I was shocked by the Victorian dirty-talking, delighted by all the cross-dressing, and really moved by the love story that develops in the third section of the book. Waters has a wonderful narrative voice, and I'll be adding more of her novels to my to-read list.
Quibbles that knocked a star off the rating: As fun as they were to read, parts I and II were full of predictable plot turns (though a good storyteller like Waters keeps you hooked nonetheless). I felt Nancy's character was terribly passive until she met Florence (the second time) -- and then she zinged to life (unfortunately, this happens on page 347!). And there were a large number of pages devoted to political speeches at the end, when I would have rather spent more time with the characters as the book was drawing to a close!
Despite these and other minor bothers, I enjoyed the read very much. As a portrait of painful first love, and growing past that pain to find you love someone else (impossibly!) even more, TIPPING THE VELVET really shines.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tipping the Velvet.