✿Alyssa✿'s Reviews > Remembrance

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: 2-star
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up: Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England... But she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind? ...Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy...

Ehhh.

*sigh* ...Unfortunately, this isn't going to be a review filled with rants and ravings about how much I loved this story. What I do love, is themes revolving around unrequited and forbidden love- Which was one reason that I was really excited to read this one and had high hopes that it would be a keeper. Now don't get me wrong... Their were parts of this book that really grabbed me... But for the most part, I just wanted to get it over with, and start on something new. (Obviously, not a good sign.)

I'll start off by saying that the characters in this novel seemed very one-dimensional and bland. Every one of them just fell flat for me, and even as the story progressed I was never able to really connect with anyone on an emotional level, which is an absolute must for me. I felt that Lizzie and Drew seemed to fall in love, without any real interaction or reason, aside from the whole "magical past connection." Though their relationship is destined from the beginning, the "insta-love" between them just felt rushed and superficial.

Also, I found the numerous references to Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice a bit annoying... I can see where the author was trying to go with this, but in my opinion it felt like a consistent (and boring) filler.

Once again, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to this book. ...And as much as I really wanted to, I just couldn't bring myself to love this novel- The story was far from anything to write home about... All-in-all, Remembrance most definitely won't be remembered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remembrance.

04/04/2012
51.0% ""...Is it because you think I’d want to be with you after you get rid of him? Because I wouldn't. Sorry, Elizabeth, but you’re just not my type.” ...*sigh*... I just love my jerks! ♥" 2 comments
04/04/2012
80.0% "...*sigh* ...I'm definitely ready to move on and start on something else. Only 20% left to go, thank goodness." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

✿Alyssa✿ I really hope I end up liking this book Pavlina! :)

message 4: by Lindsay (last edited Apr 04, 2012 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lindsay Alyssa, I think I'm just going to post a link to your review when I write mine ;)

I agree with everything you said. Great review.

message 5: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Apr 04, 2012 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks girlfriend! :) Heck! ...if you end up doing that, it would save you a lot of time from having to write one- it took me freaking forever. Unfortunately, I just had nothing to boast about when it came to this book...

Lindsay Lol. I did think of that!

✿Alyssa✿ Awww, thanks Mary Elizabeth! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with your review, although I really liked the book. I think it had an awesome storyline, I feel as though the author should of had more interactions between Drew and Lizzie before they finally decided to be together. Like how Edward was so protective of Bella, (using this example because I assume everyone has either read or watched the movie.)... Anyways, you knew that there was definitely a pull for Drew to Lizzie but I think if it had more situations that showed how much he struggled from not being with her. Jealousy towards Jeremy or something.

✿Alyssa✿ I'm glad that you enjoyed this book more than I did Michele! I guess I've just read much better books- this one just didn't do it for me, unfortunately! I know that quite a few people enjoyed it though! =)