Dan Chance's Reviews > Not Fade Away: A Short Life Well Lived

Not Fade Away by Laurence Shames

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: biography
Read in December, 2010

Peter Barton was blessed to have lived life by his own lights... or in hind sight was he? Died Sept 2002. Visionary for cable TV, thrill seeker. When he knew he knew he was going to die he hired Lawrence Shames to write his biography. Lawrence spent months sitting at Barton's side with the family just doing family things. What emerged was a thoughtful man and I'm glad I bought this book at Goodwill in 2010.

Barton said of entrepreneurs: "If they are good at what they do and if they have some luck thrown in, they may leave behind something that will continue after they're gone."

Barton said of working with MTV: "I worked at the intersection of the creative and the practical, and it was an amazingly exciting place to be."

Barton said of life: "I didn't want a safe niche; I wanted to make something that wasn't there before. I didn't want to manage; I wanted to invent. If I crashed and burned, so be it. But there had to be some dream worth pursuing, and there had to be joy and excitement in the challenge of pursuing it."

Date finished is approximate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Fade Away.