Book Twirps's Reviews > Thumped

Thumped by Megan McCafferty

Mar 27, 2012

Read from April 18 to 20, 2012

What most fascinates me about these books is that even though this is satire, the situations are all very plausible. If you’re not familiar with the series, teens are used to reproduce for adults — adults who become infertile in their 20′s. Teens are auctioned in a way, with the hotter, sexier teens scoring the bigger contracts to “bump” and produce a child for a waiting couple. Not only does it illustrate the obsession America has with being “hot” and placing more worth on the more attractive people in the world, but this particular installment also touches on the obsession we have with celebrities and reality TV as the twins garner national attention for their “Double Double Due Date”. (The twins, Melody & Harmony are both set to deliver twins on the same day.)

In an age where tons of people tune in weekly to keep up with the Kardashians, or obsess over the Real Housewives of whatever, not to mention Sixteen & Pregnant, it’s easy to see where many, if not all, of the events in this series could plausibly play out in today’s world. What a lot of people fail to realize is that the people on these reality shows are, in all actuality, living, breathing human beings, but they eventually become nothing less than characters in our mind — ones placed there specifically for our entertainment. The fact that they have the right to their own decisions and their own lives becomes irrelevant to us as a society because we feel as if they are obligated to entertain us — to give us the outcome WE want. While it’s true they do make the choice to be on television, and more often than not you know there’s a lot of forced drama, but that drama is there because that is what people want. Personally, it exhausts me.

My point in all of this is that Melody and Harmony (as well as a lot of the other teens in the series) have become just that — products. They are expected to do their duty to “serve the world” in some way. There are so many parallels to today’s society that I can’t name them all without getting political (and I don’t ever want to do that here).

I liked this book more than the first as it delves deeper into the characters. While, as far as I know, there’s no plan for a third book, I am curious as to what happens to the girls after this book. It does end with a sense of hope, which I liked, but I’d still like to see more.

If you read Bumped (and you HAVE to before reading this installment or you will have no idea what is going on) I highly suggest you read Thumped. While the first book focused more on the world Harmony and Melody live in, this one focuses a lot more on the characters and what this world has done to them. It’s an engaging read, and if nothing else, it will make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thumped.

04/19/2012 page 76