Cathy's Reviews > Cookie Dough or Die

Cookie Dough or Die by Virginia Lowell

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from March 27 to 28, 2012

The mystery itself was fine; plenty of suspects, plenty of motives and red herrings to keep the reader guessing.

But I am a knit-picker, so I question whether a town that is so small that it only has two officers of the law could really support a store that specializes in cookie cutters (Unless it is a known tourist destination, but then wouldn't there be more that two police officers?) and provide enough income for two people. Also, did Livie and Maddie sell the cookies they made or only use them as samples? I couldn't figure that out. In any case, I can't imagine that the health department would let them keep a dog in their kitchen.

Inconsistencies and bad editing really bothers me. I didn't see any glaring typos, but at the beginning of the story Livie's friend Stacy is described as a teacher at the same school as her other friend, Tammy (p.32). Later, she is described as the office manager (p. 201). Which is it? And the redudancy in the following sentence grated: "A lot of our customers lately are overly curious right now...." (p.221) Either "lately" or "right now," not both.

I was disappointed that there was no recipe for the cookies Maddie kept making (C'mon! Any book with cookie dough in the title should include a recipe.) and I felt the author did not take full advantage of her setting. I would have enjoyed more tidbits about cookie cutters and their history.

Will these flaws keep me from reading the next book? No.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cookie Dough or Die.