Lizz's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

2941947
Apr 02, 12

Read from March 27 to 30, 2012

Just got started and so far enjoying the writing, the concept, and execution. Roose does seem to attempt to come to the experience with an open mind and heart. I do find it amusing that he is shocked by the use of "fag" and "queer" from his fellow Liberty students. Homophobia and the use of these words is not a "Christian" thing, it's an American thing. Maybe Brown students don't talk like this, but in my experience with a wide variety of young people, these are commonly-used words and feelings.

Overall a really good read: Roose comes across as earnest, open-hearted, and honest. He's not some trustafarian with a book deal because of who he knows. He words hard and delves deeply into his subject and his own responses. I appreciate books that explore and discuss religion in both intelligent and emotional ways. Roose does this well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.